What you need to know concerning Corona Virus disease, stress, mental fatigue and anxiety
By Kerubo Lornah
What is Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)?
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): it is an infectious disease caused by a newly discovered coronavirus.
Most people who fall sick with COVID-19 will experience mild to moderate symptoms and recover without special treatment.
How do you know you have COVID?
- Itching in the throat
- Dry throat
- Dry cough
- Breathing with problem
HOW IT SPREADS:
The virus that causes COVID-19 is mainly transmitted through droplets generated when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or exhales. These droplets are too heavy to hang in the air, and quickly fall on floors or surfaces. You can be infected by breathing in the virus if you are within close proximity of someone who has COVID-19, or by touching a contaminated surface and then your eyes, nose or mouth.
- You have to wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, foods, locks, knobs, watches, remote, computers etc using a soap or sanitizer.
- Keep your nails short so that the virus does not hide there.
- Let your home be well ventilated
- According to the journal, April 1991 page 1916, all we need to do to beat viruses is to take more alkaline foods like:
Many people across the world are stressed about the disease and the effects of economy which is crumpling each day.
First, let us understand what stress is and how it begins.
Stress is produced when the events of life, whether physical or psychological, are greater than the ability to cope.
Stress can affect all organs of the body and disrupts their functions.
It mostly affects the heart and the cardiovascular system which will be forced to work more than it is supposed to function.
Stress also weakens the immune system in favor of other bodily functions. This leaves the body weaker and makes it vulnerable to numerous diseases.
How to deal with stress:
- Trusting in God can help one become hopeful in life and hence lead to good health. This can be achieved through reading the word of God, singing and praying.
- Going for nature walk
- your worries with a trusted friend or relative
- Research has also shown that certain foods can help the body cope with stress like:
- Pine nut
- Wheat germ
- B vitamins
- Vitamin c
Foods to avoid:
- Stimulant beverages
- Alcoholic beverages
- White sugar
During pandemics like the one we are experiencing now, health workers, government officials and caregivers are working more than they do when things are normal.
These people who are in intense activity need certain nutrients to keep their bodies in balance.
If you realize you have fatigue you need to increase whole grains and oil-bearing nuts in your daily diet.
- Anxiety begins by affecting the brain and then other organs of the body.
- Some people tend to use alcoholic beverages to curb anxiety but this only gives a short term relief and usually reappears with great intensity after the effect of the substance has passed.
What you need to include in your diet:
- Wheat germ
- Whole grains – they provide complex carbohydrates and B vitamins that are necessary to the balance of the nervous system.
What to avoid:
- Stimulant beverages
Disclaimer: the above information is for education purpose and is not intended to replace medical functions of a health professional in anyway, either in diagnosing or treating medical conditions. The writer of the article will not take responsibility arising from the inappropriate use of the foods stated therein.