How to make your kidneys happy
By Kerubo Lornah
The kidneys are a pair of bean–shaped organs on either side of the spine, below your ribs and behind your belly.
Each kidney is about 4 or 5 inches long, roughly the size of a large fist.
950 liters of blood pass through each kidney in 24 hours.
1,000,000 blood filtration units in each kidney, which is called nephrons.
Just like the lungs eliminate waste substances, the kidneys excrete water-soluble toxins.
Kidneys are able to eliminate potentially deadly poisons, such as urea. When the kidneys are not working, the buildup of urea in the blood can result in the death after just after a few days.
Roles of the kidney
• They filter blood
• They remove wastes
• They control the body’s fluid balance
• Keep the right levels of electrolytes.
Eating foods or drinking juices and smoothies that promote the elimination of toxins from the kidneys makes your kidneys happier and healthier.
Foods for the kidney
1. Apples – apples have been known to reduce cholesterol, prevent constipation, protect against heart disease and reduce the risk of cancer. It is high in fiber and anti-inflammatory compounds.
2. Asparagus – ensure you get the green one. It stimulates the kidney.
3. Diuretic drinks – these are beverages that enhance urine formation and therefore helping the body excrete waste. Foods that contain high amounts of water include: celery, watermelon, asparagus and parsley.
4. Purifying drinks –these are beverages that promote the elimination of toxins and waste substance through the kidneys like carrot, celery, lemon, cucumber, spinach, fennel and pineapple.
5. Blue berries – they fight infections and bacteria.
6. Cauliflower- This is a blood purifier. It is also stimulates urine production. It is high in vitamin C and a good source of folate and fiber which is recommended for the kidney.
7. Cranberries – they are known to protect against bladder infections by preventing from sticking to the bladder wall. They are able to protect the stomach from ulcer causing bacteria and protect the lining of the gastrointestinal tract. They can also fight against cancer and heart disease.
8. Eggplants – they help the kidney to pass urine.
9. Green peas –they reduce acid and fruit retention
10. Lemon juice – it helps in removal of toxins from the body.
11. Melons –these fruits increase urine output and they also reduce kidney stones.
Herbs good for the kidney
• Marshmallow roots –they dissolve stones
• Uva ursi – dissolves stones when mixed with marshmallow roots
• Corn silk – they restore the kidney if you have been sick. Also removes gravel from the kidney and bladder.
• Dandelion root- removes poison and toxins from the body and reduces uric acid levels.
• Buchu- cleanses the kidney.
• Cleavers herb –it removes stones and cleanses the liver and kidney.
• European White Birch (Betula alba) – relives kidney inflammation and stimulates elimination of water and waste products. It is used as a tea (20g of leaves and or buds per liter of water) or a preparation of root bark.
• Horsetail (Equisetum arvense) - in addition to being diuretic, this herb provides silicon, a mineral needed by the tissues of the skin, nails and bones. It is taken as a preparation (about 30 g per liter)
• Meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmaria) - depurative and antirheumatic taken as infusion (about 30g of flowers and leaves per liter).
Kidney diseases:There are several diseases that can attack the kidney for example kidney cancer, kidney failure, Nephrosis and kidney stones. Transforming your dietary habits can lead to healthy and happy kidneys. What to increase in your diet to curb kidney cancer: Fruits, particularly citrus and apples, salads, reduce Vitamin C and Vitamin E.
Foods to avoid to prevent or fight kidney cancer:Red meats and any meat products, chicken, fat, proteins - excess protein particularly from animal source overload the kidney with too much waste.
According to Dr. George Pamplona- roger this is a condition that is characterized by the loss of proteins through the urine. This is due to excessive permeability of the renal glomeruli that filter the blood.
He says that Nephrosis is usually one of the manifestations of a variety of kidney diseases. Its natural tendency is to evolve slowly towards kidney failure. It is accompanied by significant metabolic disorders, with increases in blood lipid and cholesterol levels.
A strict low-protein, low sodium vegetarian diet has been shown to be the most effective means of controlling the progressive deterioration of the kidneys produced by Nephrosis.
Avoid animal based proteins, shellfish, meat, total fat, sodium and cholesterol.
This is the loss of the kidneys’ capacity to produce urine, and expel the waste materials produced within the body.
Dr. Pamplona notes that there are two types of kidney failure.
Acute which requires hospitalization
Chronic it typically evolves progressively throughout life. In serious cases, kidney dialysis becomes necessary to remove the toxins from the blood that kidneys are no longer capable of eliminating through the urine.
Dr. Pamplona advises that a vegetarian diet has advantages over the omnivorous diet in cases of kidney failure: generally, it contains less sodium and phosphorous as well as fewer proteins and substances that overload the kidneys.
The foods whose consumption should be either increased or decreased within the scope of treatment plan established by a specialist, can contribute appreciably to improving the course of kidney failure.
Renal Lithiasis or kidney stones
This is also known as nephrolithiasis, urolithiasis, and urinary lithiasis. It consists of the formation of calculi or stones in the interior of the kidney. It may also occur in the urinary bladder, but less frequently.
Dr. Pamplona says that the calculi or stones form because the substances normally dissolved in the urine precipitate and accumulate in a solid mass.
He says most stones formed from calcium oxalate, magnesium ammonium phosphate, calcium phosphate or urates. Once a stone has passed and been analyzed, a specialist can prescribe a more specific diet to help avoid the formation of new stone.
For those who have suffered the excruciating pain of kidneys stones, he points out that, they should do everything possible to avoid a repeat of the experience by following a proper diet.
Reduce salt intake, avoid animal proteins, dairy products, cheese, meat, alcohol beverages, beer, and coffee, chocolate, reduce or avoid calcium intake, green leafy vegetables and vitamin C.
Dr. Pamplona advises that you should see the doctor immediately if you notice any of the following signs:
• Blood in your urine
• Frequent urination at night
• Urine that is always clear and transparent, evening, morning or after sweating.
• Swollen eyelids or ankles.
Disclaimer: the above information is for education purpose and is not intended to replace medical functions of a health professional in anyway, either in diagnosing or treating medical conditions. The writer of the article will not take responsibility arising from the inappropriate use of the foods stated therein.