How to take care of your stomach using natural foods
By Kerubo Lornah
STOMACH is a muscular organ located on the left side of the upper abdomen. It receives food from the esophagus. The stomach secretes acid and enzymes that digest food.
Here are some conditions that can affect your stomach:-
- Gastroesophageal reflux – it happens when stomach contents, including acid travelling backward up the esophagus. They as a result cause heartburn and coughing.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease – this condition affects the esophagus.
- Dyspepsia or indigestion-it may be caused by any serious condition in the stomach as a result of food mix-up or drinking water between meals.
- Stomach ulcers- it is an erosion in the lining of the stomach often causing bleeding or severe pain. This kind of ulcers are caused by H.pylori infection.
- Stomach cancer among other diseases.
Natural foods, used as required are able to prevent or heal most diseases mentioned above.
You will do well to rush to your garden or your organic food store to get yourself these stomach friendly foods.
Here are just but a few:
- This fruit has vitamins C, B1 and Vitamin6.
- It is also a good source of folates. It is rich in Manganese, copper, potassium, magnesium and iron.
- Pineapple or its fresh juice taken before meals reduces the appetite and leads to weight loss which as a result curbs you from getting obese.
- Manganese in this fruit helps in the formation of reproductive cells in both sexes. It prevents you from suffering sterility.
- It can prevent or fight stomach cancer.
2. Cabbage (Collards, broccoli, cauliflower, white cabbage, Brussel sprouts, savoy cabbage , red cabbage , Chinese cabbage and kohlrabi)
- The cabbage family is rich with nutrients that fight diseases.
- They contain proteins, friendly fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and trace elements.
- Cabbage prevents or treats ulcers.
- They are soldiers which can fight coronary diseases, obesity, hypertension, and edema. They also prevent cancer and diabetes.
- Cabbage juice drunk in an empty stomach can be used to expel intestinal parasites.
- The calcium in the cabbage prevents osteoporosis.
3. Pepper (sweet pepper)
- Pepper contain pro-vitamin A (beta-carotene) which protects against cancerous degeneration of cells. Because of their richness in antioxidant vitamin A and C curbs cancer of the digestive organs.
- Peppers are beneficial for those suffering from dyspepsia.
- They get rid of constipation due to their laxative and anti-flatulent nature.
- Vitamin C in the peppers provides almost four times as much as vitamin C in lemons of oranges.
- They contain flavonoids which are anti-inflammatory antioxidants that protects the circulatory system.
4. Irish Potatoes
- They are widely knowns as the stomach’s best friend.
- They are rich in carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, minerals and vegetable fiber.
- They are capable of dealing with stomach disorders due to their anti-acid effect, physical consistence (softness) and they contain sedating substances that can relax stomach organs.
- These wonderful tubers can also fight cardiovascular diseases, kidney disease, diabetes and obesity.
- It is advisable to peel them before cooking them in case of any toxic substances that maybe present in the skin if the potatoes were not organically grown.
- Raw potato juice is very good in neutralizing stomach acids.
- Fried potatoes are not healthful.
Disclaimer: the above information is for education purpose and is not intended to replace medical functions of a health professional in anyway, either in diagnosing or treating medical conditions. The writer of the article will not take responsibility arising from the inappropriate use of the foods stated therein.